Monday, September 27, 2010

BlackJack

21 the hard way.  21 miles that is.   21.11 to be precise, and surprisingly it wasn’t nearly as hard as expected.


After my week of traveling and eating like a goat, I didn’t have high hopes for yesterday’s long run.  It actually turned out to be a solid outing with little in the way of drama.  Hydration worked out well, gels/food were timed right, weather was cooperative, no blisters or chafing.

Both of my feet starting getting sore around the 10-mile mark, and were moderately painful for the rest of the run, but that appears to be the Plantar Fasciitis reality I’ll be living in until after the marathon.  My right knee felt pretty good throughout, and is somewhat sore today, but nothing unbearable.

This gave me my first chance to try my new Ryders sunglasses on a long run, and I was VERY pleased.  I’ll be putting together a review in the near future.  Tried an Orange flavored Hammer Gel for the first….and last time.  Not a fan.  When I went to get the gels on Saturday I was browsing the chews selection, and having never tried Clif Shot Blocks before I thought I’d give them a try.  Bought a pack of the Cola flavored and dug in at the 16-mile mark.  I think they can be best described as a small, squishy square of sadness.  I think my mouth cried a little when I tried to eat them.  Made it through 3 of the squares before my jaw refused to chew any more.  I wish to apologize to my Gu Chomps that have served me so well in the past.  Please take me back.

20 comments:

  1. Yeah those Shot blocks taste okay but the chewing..oh lord.

    congrats on your bj. Blackjack that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it went better than expected but I'm sorry to hear about the plantar fasciitis. Roll, roll, roll, and ice, ice, ice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with SU&R - how do you chew those things?.....I'm better off with a mouth full of PB.

    Next stop vegas?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I tried those Blocks and will never be unfaithful to Chomps again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried the Blocks, but the way you described them sounds like the PowerBar chews. I tried those for the first time this weekend too. They tasted great, but DEAR LORD the CHEWING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool that 21.11 went so well.
    PF sucks. Mine cleared when I added some barefoot runs but those you would need to dose very carefully to get your calves time to adjust.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And that's why you're trying it all now--no new is good new on marathon day. Good job on the 21.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with the shot block! It was hard to chew, run, and breathe at the same time! I'll stick to my GU Roctane Gels =)

    Great run! new follower here =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great run, but sorry about the PF and blocks...I'm a GU/sports beans fan myself...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like all the bloks/chomps, apparently I'm not picky. Good to hear the long run went well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow great job on the long run. all signs seemed to point to failure, but didn't. 3 cheers for that. Oh and don't worry, I'm wearing my JENNINGS jersey tonight, so hopefully that'll help out your fantasy situation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. you gotta try the strawberry or black cherry clif shot bloks. they're good - i promise... :) way to get through the long run anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for the heads up and me saving my money and not buying the nasty-ness! Way to go on your long run!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Split 10s, stand on anything if the dealer shows a 5 or less. ... I know nothing!

    I'm new to the food thing when running ... wouldn't you try the stuff out before running? Not on the actual run and have things all screwed up?

    BTW to they have any interesting flavors like pork and beans, or macaroni and cheese?

    Thanks for the mojo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. good work on the run. yeah..there has got to be a way to make these gels taste better. there is no bloody reason tey should be so nasty. i even hate the ones that i like.

    ReplyDelete
  16. glad the run went well! you deserve a nice pat on the back for conquering 21.1!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't like orange Gu either but then I don't like anything with artificial orange flavoring!\

    Great job on the run!

    ReplyDelete
  18. running is so funny..the runs that seem like they shouldn't go well based on our week totally fine and the one's where we've done it all right...ehh. Glad your's was good!!

    i am ok with chomps, but yea not too many on any run

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like the world is round in NC. Nice job. I'm a fan of 1st Endurance EFS cuz I don't have to drink ANY electorlyte drink during a marathon. Plus, 400 calories (yes 400) come in each flask.

    ReplyDelete