Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Vacation, All I Ever Wanted

As my last post made pretty clear, I’m dealing with some stress right now.  Nothing too crushing, but stress nonetheless.  Fortunately, last week was a well-timed and much-needed vacation week for the Evolving family.  The 4 of us, along with my in-laws, piled onto a 46-foot sailboat in St. Thomas for a week of sailing in the Virgin Islands.  My father-in-law is a retired Coast Guard captain who has probably forgotten more about sailing than most people will ever know, so he provided the brains, I provided the muscle, and we all tackled the high seas.  Admittedly the quarters were a bit tight, and there may have been an occasional bout of tension, but overall it was an amazing experience.  The best part – no laptop, no iPhone, no email …. No worries.

The weather and water were beautiful, and we spent countless hours snorkeling in a variety of locations.  We bought a waterproof point-and-click digital camera before we went since we didn’t trust any of the cameras in the house to actually work and hold up to the conditions, so rather than bore you with words I’ll share some of what we saw and did:

Our floating home for the week
My favorite fishes
Ran into lots of these guys
Sailing is hard work
The scenery was stunning




Couldn't get the boy out of the water
Discovered that the daughter has some serious sailing skills
The proper way to refuel
Hard not to relax here
My mermaids
No opportunities to run while we were there, and I did find that I missed it on the days that my training plan said I should be running, which I think is a very good sign that my heart and mind are still very much into the training.  On the other hand, swimming and lounging proved to be very nice alternatives.

10 comments:

  1. Now that's the way to take a vacation! Fantastic! Hope things will be a little less stressful now that you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have ever seen a photo of your queen mermaid! Love it. Love all the photos!

    Fabulous.

    We have friends who have asked us to do this [ship, sail, {puke}] in the Virgin Islands but......see above... I'm a sea sick puker. One day, maybe.

    YAY vacations!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a beautiful family and such great memories for your kids. Glad you could get away and unplug for a bit. You look majorly relaxed as you are refueling.

    And, yes, I am a huge GoGos fan, so loved the title of this post. I am old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, WOW. THAT is my dream vacation. We got married in the Virgin Islands (St. Thomas) and one day went out on a catamaran with some other peeps and hit some of the other islands, but a week on a sailboat? That's the stuff my dreams are made of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks gorgeous. I'm so pleased that you got the chance to unwind. Your family looks like they had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a gorgeous place to vacation, super jealous!! Love all the smiling faces, including yours. Had to be a prefect week to de-stress a little. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't even read this post, I just looked at the photos and turned green with envy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well hello! So let me get this straight, you ran a half and had no injuries, but they haunt you... you recover with alcohol, and you like to vaca where I basically live. We should be friends. www.twomotivate.com Oh yeah, kids.... that too.

    ReplyDelete