Thursday, July 5, 2012

2012 First Half Review - Ready for Ramp Up

With the start of July I’m trying to take stock of my year thus far, and figure out what is working, what needs tweaking, and where I need to man-up.



I consider the first half of the year to be successful based primarily on one criterion … no injury-forced downtime.  That’s not to say that I haven’t had some angry body parts along the way – IT Bands, Plantar Fascia, Calf knots … but I’ve been able to pay attention to them and manage them such that they haven’t put me on the sidelines.  Adding the bike and swimming (but far too little swimming) has helped, as has mixing in some PT exercises to keep my right knee/quad working well with the rest of my right leg.

I was doing a much better job of cross-training early in the year, but once I made the decision to run a 50k, and then train for a 50-miler in the Fall, I shifted back to a more run-heavy plan.  I know this runs counter to the notion of cross-training to reduce the repetitive strain of running, but I need to get a feel for how my body reacts to higher mileage than I’ve tried for marathon training, and I need to ramp up to the peak of 70 weekly running miles that my current plan calls for.  I’m still getting out on the bike at least a couple times a month, and I should be doing better with the swimming now that the neighborhood pool is open for the Summer.

Here are the stats for the first 6 months of the year:

Running:  90 runs, 757.34 miles total
Biking:  18 rides, 349.8 miles total
Swimming:  10 swims, 7 miles total
Weight training:  41 trips to the gym

March was my best month so far this year, with 157 miles run, 99 miles biked, 2 swims, and 8 trips to the gym.

Race-wise, I paced a friend in a half-marathon in March, ran a 200-mile 12-person relay and my first-ever 5k in April, and ran the Outer Banks 50k in May.  No races in June, and nothing firmly planned between now and the 50-mile run on 11/3, although I’m hoping to run a few 5ks, maybe a half-marathon, and a full-marathon close to the Ultra as a long training run.

I’m really liking the training plan I’ve got going now, but the mileage is a lot higher than anything I’ve done in the past, and I’m pretty wiped out by the end of each week.  I HAVE to start getting more sleep to keep with this plan and stay healthy.  Unfortunately, knowing what to do doesn’t magically get it done.

4 comments:

  1. Best of luck with the new plan! Figuring out that balance of a good numbers of miles, too many and how much cross-training is one huge puzzle that seems to take some time to figure out...I slowly seem to be solving it as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staying injury-free is always a win!

    Glad you're enjoying your training plan. I definitely have been finding it hard to get enough sleep in...but it makes those early morning/beat the heat runs tough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a very solid first half of the year! Hope the 2nd half goes well and you continue to stay injury-free. Sleep?!?! What's that? It's 3:15am and I'm reading blogs....ugh! Good to catch up with you though :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice 6 month recap and plenty to be proud of - not least the no injury part. Get some sleep and some good food into you when you're doing this kind of thing. It's hard enough as it is!

    ReplyDelete