Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Throwback Training Tunes vol. 4 - 1991 edition

Despite the family vacation, the quest for some old-school running tunes continues. My self-imposed guidelines:
  • Trying to come up with an honest-to-goodness running song from each of the last 20 years of the 20th century (1980-1999)
  • None of the songs in this list can be in any of the existing playlists on my iPod. As much as I love all the blogging runners and running bloggers out there, this list is for me too.
  • Mainstream to alternative, well-known to abundantly obscure, anything is a potential candidate
  • I’m test-driving anything I post with a test-drive listen during at least two training runs
  • Trying to link to a video or audio-clip of the song so we can all remember how awesome we looked in our killer 80s and 90s fashions.

Prior Throwbacks:
 
‘Look to the Sky’ by the March Violets (1986)
‘Mama Said Knock You Out’ by LL Cool J (1990)

 
Today’s Throwbacks:

Three Strange Days – School of Fish (1991) – This song was a happy rediscovery for me. Brings back some good college roadtrip memories. The driving guitar and drums that kick in soon after the intro definitely kick up the energy while banging out the miles. A bit of ear-GU, if you will. Great song from an OK album, but really the only album they put out that held any interest for me. Every once in a while this song gets some random airplay, so you may have heard it before.


Enter Sandman – Metallica (1991) – The popularity of this song marked a sad era for many a headbanger. This song, and the black album, took Metallica into the mainstream, and suddenly everyone knew who they were. My college roommate was a big Metallica fan, so I had heard songs from Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, etc. more than I would have ever wanted long before the Black album arrived. Most of their stuff was way too headbanger for me, unless I was having one of those days that needed a soundtrack of anger. The black album was metal for the masses, and it definitely found an audience. Enter Sandman has a great combo of guitar and drums that works great for a training run. So far it’s a welcome addition to the playlist, but I’ve heard this song so many times I think I may get tired of it pretty quickly. Time will tell.

4 comments:

  1. I am pretty bad at remember who sang what when...except for a few favorites of course.

    However, I do know if I like something when I hear it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I think I need to add a little Metallica to my playlist.

    I'm not sure I could find a song from every year. It would be an interesting quest though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that school of fish song is a great song...

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I could only bring one CD on a cross-country car trip it would be Metallica's Black Album. I took my 15 year old daughter to her first concert earlier this year; Metallica. We both loved it.

    ReplyDelete